[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler/Koan restrictions with AS/CentOS

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Wed Jun 25 16:00:18 UTC 2008

Hi All,

We've got cobbler/koan setup to dole out installations of both RHAS5.x
and CentOS5.x (and soon possibly Fedora to students).

The way it stands now we include legitimate keys in our kickstart files
and associated the kickstarts with a profile (i.e.
RHAS-5.1-x86_64-webserver).

This works fine and everyone who deserves to get a entitlement gets one.

Upon reboot (and connection to a publicly routed network) they update
their systems automagically.

We want to branch out and allow others to use the install server but
obviously we don't want them to install AS and get a valid entitlement
when they haven't purchased one.

Since we can't mask out certain profiles/kickstarts from the install
server I'm looking for advice and how to do this in a "non-hackish"
manner.

I'd prefer to only have the one cobbler server but the more I think
about it the less likely that seems to be. I'm guessing we'd need one
"free" cobbler server and one "you paid for it" cobbler server.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Harry