[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and Ghost

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Fri Jun 27 14:56:29 UTC 2008

All,

    I am new to the list, and have a working cobbler running perfectly
save for kickstarts (I have no clue where to begin with that, but that
is a different issue). What I am desiring to get going is the ability to
set up  a ghost for linux (G4L) image on cobbler to be able to
netboot/ghost a drive to a network location, and I am wondering if
anyone else has done this before, or if it would be advisable. I have a
few systems that are laboriously configured that I would like to be able
to periodically ghost before, and after an upgrade (in case something
goes very wrong, like my last Fedora 7 --> Fedora 8 fun, where my
install lost the LVM from the previous install and I had to fight it to
get it to update, which isn't good at all).

    I have successfully completed manual cobbler assisted installs, and
my install works pretty well, and I am looking at fleshing it out a bit
to other O/s's besides just Linux (namely Solaris if it is supported, I
haven't read into that too much) and am looking at a Windows remote
installer (Unattended looked to be the best so far).

    If doing a network bootable Ghost system isn't feasible in Cobbler,
would there be anything else that isn't commercial (I know Nortan Ghost
does network ghosting with its server products) that I could use for this?

--
Seann Clark
Tsukinokage.net
nombrandue at tsukinokage.net