[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and Ghost

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Fri Jun 27 16:06:57 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Seann Clark wrote:
>> All,
>>
>>    I am new to the list, and have a working cobbler running perfectly
>> save for kickstarts (I have no clue where to begin with that, but
>> that is a different issue).
>
> system-config-kickstart is a great way to build them.
>
> The other way is to install a system and look at /root/anaconda.ks
> that is left over after installation.
Thanks, I will look over that. I have just started reviewing KS stuff
for this (Automated Windows installs are easy for me, so I am not seeing
much of a problem with this outside of the learning curve)

>> What I am desiring to get going is the ability to set up  a ghost for
>> linux (G4L) image on cobbler to be able to netboot/ghost a drive to a
>> network location, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this
>> before, or if it would be advisable.
>
> I recently started a thread about exploring inclusion of imaging tools
> in Cobbler, so it can keep track of images and make that easier.
>
> So far udpcast and systemimager came up.     I'm still looking into
> options as right now udpcast involves a bit of setup that I find a bit
> too involved for most users (including me) to get the target image
> working correctly.  G4L might be another one to look at, though I'm
> suprised they haven't been talked to about the name yet.
G4L is not too bad of a tool, it is an ncurses UI that looks and feels a
lot like Nortan Ghost (I am used to Nortan, hence why I took that route)
but I don't have enough foresight into cobbler to figure much out
(Matter of fact, the only reason I started on Cobbler was it was a good
PXE boot manager, and so far it works perfectly for that)
I had recently come across systemimager but only glanced at that. My
current project is a bit... complex and finding the way to do it so it
works will be, well, kind of fun. Said project is to move my current
server (web/media/cobbler) to a newer more robust 'real' server (going
from 32 bit to 64 bit) and getting it set up again to match will be a
nightmare, because this system has been my workhorse for about 3-4 years
and I don't remember some of the dependencies I have set up for it, so I
prob. will look into a configuration manager as mentioned below.

>> I have a few systems that are laboriously configured that I would
>> like to be able to periodically ghost before, and after an upgrade
>> (in case something goes very wrong, like my last Fedora 7 --> Fedora
>> 8 fun, where my install lost the LVM from the previous install and I
>> had to fight it to get it to update, which isn't good at all).
>
> This looks like a good time to pick up a config management tool
> (something like Puppet), plus a backup tool, so that you can express
> your configuration in terms of kickstarts, configurations, and so
> forth.  Imaging is a problem because you usually don't know what went
> into the image, so changing it can be kind of haphazard.    That's why
> we want to encourage kickstart + config management wherever
> possible.    That's not to say imaging doesn't have it's case... for
> Windows, that's one of the better options.
>>
>>    I have successfully completed manual cobbler assisted installs,
>> and my install works pretty well, and I am looking at fleshing it out
>> a bit to other O/s's besides just Linux (namely Solaris if it is
>> supported, I haven't read into that too much) and am looking at a
>> Windows remote installer (Unattended looked to be the best so far).
>
> Imaging windows seems to be the way to go to me.   That way other
> distributions are covered under the same proverbial umbrella.
I am currently testing Unattended with a couple of 'core' images. With
this, I plan on taking a distro, and making a 'clean' install available
for quick testing of install/performance in the Windows environment,
and imaging my current running systems as a decent backup for this.