[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler/koan can now do Xen fullvirt installs

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 15:39:52 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> For those of you wishing to do fully-automated fully-virtualized Xen
>> installations (as opposed to Xen paravirt, qemu, or KVM which it did
>> already), that is now doable from koan.
>> It requires the virt install libraries that are in Fedora 8.
>>
>> The process is pretty simple.    You first need to be running Cobbler
>> from git (development branch) and koan from git also (there is no
>> development branch yet for koan).
>>
>> From the bootserver, tell cobbler to set up a virtual system.    This
>> assumes that cobbler is also managing your PXE configuration, as this
>> installation
>> will happen via PXE.
>>
>> # cobbler system add --name=virttest --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
>> --profile=rhel4-i386 --virt-type=xenfv [...]
>> # cobbler sync  (to restart DHCP)
>>
>> Now, request the new virtual installation from koan. # koan
>> --server=bootserver.example.org --virt --system=virttest
>>
>> The installation will take place over a hybrid of PXE and Cobbler
>> XMLRPC, resulting in a fully virtualized Xen install, fully automated
>> all the way through.   That's it!
>>
>> I'll add some docs on this to the Wiki (
>> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/ ).
>
> Hi
>
> I am wondering if this functionality is in the 0.8x of cobbler/koan or
> if this is still needed to be checked out the development branch?
>
> Also is this likely to work on a RHEL5.1 cobbler server or will i have
> to go fedora for that ?
>
> thanks

Yes this features is now in Cobbler/koan 0.8.X; although I do not
believe this capability for virt is in RHEL 5.1 as far as I'm aware.

Dan can perhaps follow up as to whether virt_install in 5.2 (or what
other versions) can do it?

(The other Xen thing to track is the ability to do fullvirt FV without
going through PXE in F9... which I'll be looking into adding shortly)