[et-mgmt-tools] PATCH: koan: --no-cobbler --virt

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:37:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Gavin Romig-Koch <gavin at redhat.com> wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm not sure we should add this.   Discussion is welcome.
>  >
>  Thanks for the chance to discuss this.  In re-reading this before
>  sending it, I realize that it is longer and "preachy-er" than I had
>  hoped.  Please forgive my weak writing skills.
>
>  Within Red Hat Support we have a need for a single tool that can do
>  kickstart based installs, of either actual hardware or virtual
>  machines.  For each issue that comes in (that isn't solvable by just

... wishes he had that tool when he was in RHS...

>  It would be possible to use a Cobbler server in this environment.  Each
>  engineer could manage his own Cobbler server, or we could create a
>  central Cobbler server, and build some tools that allowed engineers to
>  check in new profiles/systems, delete profile/systems, and implement
>  some nameing convention for profiles.  But this would just be extra work
>  to make our environment fit the model of the typical data center
>  environment.

Hmmm I would think that would be a useful eventual goal for a support
organization. That way when Rodrigo in Mexico  is out and KittyKat in
NC is covering for him.. she knows where to find the data to install
XYZZY corps server to help on a ticket.. and the support is seamless.
[Sorry I have been in weeks of ITIL support indoctrination... ]