[et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: virt-p2v 0.9.7

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 09:33:26 UTC 2008

I'm pleased to announce the release of virt-p2v 0.9.7.  This is a
substantial rewrite mainly to improve the user interface and
internally to lay the groundwork for supporting V2P and partition
resizing.

Source, ISO image and PXE boot image available from:

  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/
  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/download.html

The major changes:

- Interface rewritten to use Newt text mode windowing toolkit instead
of the dialog-based approach which was very proving to be quite
limiting.

- Much better support for setting up the network and SSH connection.

- Fetch and parse capabilities from remote server, to improve the
quality of the generated configuration file.  In particular,
32-vs-64-bit issues which plagued the older versions are fixed.

- Now uses libvirt to contact remote server.

- Remove docs, locales to reduce image size.

- More accurate memory estimates.

- Support local repositories.

- Internally: The way configuration data is stored has been rewritten
to be simpler to customize and to support V2P.  Now understands that
i386 = i686.  Won't attempt to configure network from a
non-RHEL/Fedora root.

The source isn't really buildable at the moment without some help
because it needs a few packages which aren't in Fedora yet, so if you
are trying to build from source please contact me.

I also have a branch which can do V2P & (some) partition resizing so
if anyone wants to try this please contact me off-list.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top