[et-mgmt-tools] virt-p2v 0.9.7 - temporary failure in name resolution

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 11:45:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:37:58AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Ah right, thanks for this analysis.  I actually had exactly the same
> problem and couldn't work it out, but assumed it was just a problem
> with my own test machine ...  I'll try and put a fix in the next
> version.

As an addendum ...  It happens because I rearranged the way that
network config happens, so now it happens earlier.

Previously:

  1. ask the user every question
  2. mount root with snapshot
  3. set up network

Now:

  i. ask the user just the network question
 ii. if configuring network from root, then mount root readonly
iii. set up nework
 iv. unmount root, continue with questions ...
  v. mount root with snapshot

The cardinal rule of p2v is that we must absolutely not modify the
original machine, which is why root is mounted readonly in step (ii).
But in fact what should happen is that step (ii) should mount root
with snapshots, and then we leave it mounted and don't ask the user to
select the root again in this case.

OK, think I understand how to fix it now ;-)

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top