[et-mgmt-tools] koan bombs on FC8 install

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 21:30:16 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use koan to provision an FC8 box - The box is currently
> running RHEL5.1 and i can rebuild it to this fine.
>
> If i try to get koan to switch the distro to FC8, this happens on
> x86_64 and x86_32, i get this
>
> # koan -s 192.168.12.161 -r
> - Auto detected: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> - reading URL:
> http://192.168.12.161/cblr/kickstarts_sys/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ks.cfg
> install_tree: http://192.168.12.161/cblr/links/Fedora-8-x86_64
> downloading initrd initrd.img to /boot/initrd.img
> url=http://192.168.12.161/cobbler/images/Fedora-8-x86_64/initrd.img
> - reading URL:
> http://192.168.12.161/cobbler/images/Fedora-8-x86_64/initrd.img
> downloading kernel vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz
> url=http://192.168.12.161/cobbler/images/Fedora-8-x86_64/vmlinuz
> - reading URL:
> http://192.168.12.161/cobbler/images/Fedora-8-x86_64/vmlinuz
> - reading URL:
> http://192.168.12.161/cblr/kickstarts_sys/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ks.cfg
> - ['/bin/bash', '/var/spool/koan/insert.sh']
>
> gzip: /boot/initrd.img: unexpected end of file
> cpio
> cpio: premature end of archive
> ln: creating hard link `tmp/ks.cfg' to `ks.cfg': No such file or
> directory
> 7 blocks
> done
> - ['/sbin/grubby', '--add-kernel', '/boot/vmlinuz', '--initrd',
> '/boot/initrd.img', '--make-default', '--title', 'kick1206032671',
> '--args', 'ksdevice=eth0 lang=  kssendmac syslog=192.168.12.161:25150
> text  ks=file:ks.cfg', '--copy-default']
> - reboot to apply changes
>
> Anyone have any clue as to why this is ?

I haven't seen this, so there's nothing that should be specific to F8
here.  The usual things to check -- are all the URLs above reachable on
the box in question?

The error above is coming from a shell script koan writes into
/var/spool/koan while the koan command is being run.   You may be able
to find some more information by looking there.

Is it possible that /var is full or something else would prevent the
ks.cfg file from being downloaded to there, or possibly is there no
kickstart file
set for the profile in question (not the default in koan, but it may be
possible if you never set a --kickstart).

Hopefully that gets you started, with a little more info we can probably
get this figured out :)