[et-mgmt-tools] virt-bridge option not working in koan 0.8.0?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 20:46:38 UTC 2008

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Sandor W. Sklar wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, ok, thanks ... that makes sense, but the wiki page clearly
>>> shows it being used as an option to "koan" ...
>>>
>>> To force a specific choice, or to use a bridge that does not follow
>>> the pethX/ethX convention, you can use --virt-bridge and specify the
>>> name of any bridge you like. Note that this must be a /real/ bridge,
>>> and not a physical interface.
>>>
>>> koan --server=bootserver.example.org --profile=RHEL5-i386 --virt
>>> --virt-bridge=peth0
>>
>> Yes, this was trimmed in a previous release. It's something we can
>> consider adding back if it's useful, though in general I want to
>> limit the amount of options we provide to koan to keep the focus
>> around centralized management and repeatable profiles.
>
> No, that makes sense. For me, (and understand, I'm a total beginner at
> the koan and virtualization stuff here), the biggest problem is
> keeping the documentation up-to-date and in sync with the current
> version of the tools. I'd love to contribute to the wiki, once I've
> got a better understanding of all of this, but I think in general,
> while the tools are of excellent quality, and the support provided on
> this and other lists is superb, it would be good to have some more
> fundamental documentation or "how-tos", targeted perhaps at people
> familiar with RHEL and general Linux administration, but who aren't
> that in touch with the deployment of virtual machines. This might be
> my shortcoming though, and perhaps the Cobbler/Koan environment isn't
> the proper place to host that type of doc.

Glad you mentioned it...

After 1.0 is released, I am intending to write a very long/detailed
PDF/manual on datacenter deployment using Cobbler that will cover all of
this. PXE, Virt, various strategies rolling up all of the existing
documentation, etc. I intend for it to be CC-licensed and aimed right at
that kind of thing.

That will likely be sometime toward the middle of this year.

> Ah, well, I like options where I can get them, but only options that
> help me, not those that I can shoot myself with. :-)

Good deal :)