[et-mgmt-tools] Summary of things new in Cobbler 0.9/1.0

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 7 22:35:53 UTC 2008

I have a write up of what's new in Cobbler/Koan 0.9/1.0 here:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/WhatsNewInOhNine

Comments welcome, and feel free to play with git if you like.   I will
be doing a test release likely this week (Friday?) with a source RPM,
though you don't have to wait if you want to have at it.   It's been a
while coming, but this is a big release.  It's probably time to stop and
push new things into the next release when possible.

Of possible interest to several folks:   I had to (temporarily) remove
the "--autonet" code in koan today (this is a feature intended to ease
usage of --replace-self in DHCP-less environments), because of errors it
was raising in Python 2.3 regarding some bit shifting and so forth.  As
I wasn't too familiar with the code and I don't have sufficient cycles
to test it, it's out for now, but obviously we don't want to keep it
that way if people need it.    I will accept patches to get it cleaned
up and added back -- though I'm not sure it worked on EL4 in the past.
For patches, ideally it would not rely on direct parsing of commands and
could get moved out to another file.    Koan is getting big enough now
to use some cleanup in general so I'll try to be doing some of that.

Also of interest -- If you were asking about it, I believe I lost your
email, but Xen Fullvirt in koan works again as I corrected some errors
that kept it going into paravirt mode.   Testing welcome.

As indicated on the above Wiki page, there aren't too many features that
are left to add.   We're getting close!   Thanks for everyone who has
been providing testing so far, ideas, bug reports, and hanging out here
and on IRC.   You are much appreciated and I could not do this without
you.   Thanks!