[et-mgmt-tools] [ANNOUNCE] Cobbler and Koan 0.9.1-1 (Test1)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri May 9 21:24:56 UTC 2008

Hi... I'm happy to announce that the first release of Cobbler and Koan
0.9.1-1 from the devel branch are available here for testing:

http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download/cobbler-0.9.1-1.src.rpm
http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download/koan-0.9.1-1.src.rpm

In (short) summary, this release mainly features a lot of new auth
options for the webapp (making it usable with FreeIPA and so forth),
BIND support (thanks to John Eckersberg), and support for omapi for
DHCPd (thanks to Pablo Iranzo Gomez).   There's also some shiny nuts and
bolts kinds of things like dynamic kickstart generation, and the new
"cobbler buildiso" command -- plus lots of small stuff and bugfixes as well.

There is a summary of everything that's new/changed on the Wiki,
including a relatively simple set of instructions regarding some things
that have changed in terms of configuration/setup.   For those already
using the git versions, this should be no suprise, but it's a good read:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/WhatsNewInOhNine

The plan is to investigate/fix existing bugs in Trac over the next few
weeks, while allowing people to test out this code before we push this
into Fedora/EPEL as 1.0.   I will accept patches for bugfixes before we
get to 1.0 as well as small features, but we'll hold off on anything big
until we have a 1.1 devel branch again and 1.0 is out.  Then, as before,
we'll continue to maintain 1.0 as stable and push fixes out to
Fedora/EPEL while
working on new things for 1.1.

Thanks again to everyone who has been a part of this release!   Happy
testing!

If you would like to submit items into Trac directly, you can get an
account here:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/

Trac is here:
https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler

Also feel free to update any errant documenation on the Wiki you find
along the way, as well as point out anything off/confusing in the
manpages.   One of the cool things I have planned after 1.0 is released
is to come up with a nice deployment guide that collates and expands on
all of the Wiki documentation and talks about all the various features
of Cobbler and ways people are using it -- so having the Wiki nice and
up to date is good for that in case I've missed something.

Comments on future features or things you are interested in are always
welcome as well.   RFE's can be filed in Trac or you can share them
here, whichever works better for you.