[et-mgmt-tools] Troubleshooting

Ole Ersoy ole.ersoy at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:02:52 UTC 2008

Hello again,

I tried tcpdumping and looking at the traffic, but did not really see anything that looked like traffic from a machine on the local network.

I figured I'd try turning back on the routers DHCP server to see whether it would assign an address to the bare metal machine.  After doing this I still don't see it in the attached devices per the routers web admin tool.  Anyone know whether it's supposed to show up?  I'm just assuming that the first thing the bare metal machine should do is ask for an IP from the router (Or cobbler when that's being used).

Actually do I need to do anything to the router to make sure that the bare metal machine can see cobbler's dhcp server?  There's a router setting "Use External DHCP Server" that I tried setting to the cobbler server's IP, but then I get this message:

Invalid External DHCP Server IP Address, and it must not be a LAN IP address.

So I just assumed that I should turn off the router's DCHP server, and the bare metal machine would then automatically get it from the cobbler server.

Am I going about this right?

Thanks,
- Ole