[et-mgmt-tools] [ANNOUNCE] Cobbler and Koan 1.0

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 28 16:35:01 UTC 2008

Hello Cobbler land.

Cobbler and koan 1.0 are now built and pushed out to the mirrors for F-7
through F-9, and EL-4/5.
If you can't wait, there are source RPMs at
http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download

What's new in 1.0?  If you've been reading my emails about 0.9, it's the
same thing.   This is the merge of the development branch (0.9) work to
stable so we can start doing more "unstable" development again.    If
any major issues come up with 1.0, there can be a 1.0.1, 1.0.2 and so
forth as new features will be rolled into 1.1 (devel) for future
inclusion in 1.2 stable.   Should there be any problems with this
release, please let me know either through Trac, email, or IRC so we can
keep this release working for everyone.   This has had a few test
releases and people have been very good about playing with source
versions, so I do not expect any major problems, knock on silicon :)

I've taken the opportunity to streamline a few things -- namely the
settings file(s).  All users upgraded are strongly encouraged to read
the link below, as your Cobbler configuration will yell at you until you
fix at least some basic things, and if you've customized it, you need to
also pay attention to the parts about modules.conf.    Since 1.0 is the
"big" release, it was a good time to clean some things up so we don't
have to do this kind of thing as much later.

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/WhatsNewInOhNine

What's in a name?   1.0 is technically just the release after 0.8.
However at this point, with all of the security features and so on going
into this release, the core of features we are going to want are there
and things are looking pretty well rounded to me.  This doesn't mean
there isn't a lot of territory to conquer and other things to clean
up.   There are still things we could possibly do around power
management, image cloning (maybe), and definitely a lot of things we can
do to polish up the web interface.   There are also a whole lot of great
RFEs in Trac on things to improve, so likely the near future is about
getting to these small/miscellaneous items, especially as there were a
lot of big items in 0.9 (primarily in the Web/security area).   As
0.9/1.0 targeted a lot of features that are useful to some larger
install bases, 1.1 will likely hit all the little items everyone has
been asking for.

The roadmap is always kept here and suggestions are always welcome:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/TheRoadmap

Once again, and I say this a lot but I really mean it -- thanks very
much for everyone who has contributed testing, ideas, feedback, bug
reports, and patches.   Cobbler is really about building a community
around administrators being able to share and build common tooling
together, and lately this is clearly showing that this sort of
collaboration works.  Thank you all very much.   Also thanks very much
to everyone who has shared Cobbler with friends, coworkers, LUGs, and so
on.   You are very helpful in expanding the community and bringing more
ideas to the table.