[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler 1.0 profiles/repo inheritance check problem

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu May 29 16:23:51 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> haerry+et at puzzle.ch wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> beside switching our cobbler setup to a new server we upgraded to 1.0.
>> However we then had a problem running cobbler check:
>>
>> # cobbler check
>> The following potential problems were detected:
>> #0: since iptables may be running, ensure 69, 80, 25150, and 25151 are
>> unblocked
>> #1: One or more repos referenced by profile objects is no longer defined
>> in cobbler: <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t,
>>
>>> , >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >,
>>>
>> <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <,
>> i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n,
>> h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e,
>> r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i,
>> t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >,
>>
>>> , <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <,
>>>
>> <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i, n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >, <, <, i,
>> n, h, e, r, i, t, >, >
>>
>> So first I thought of having a problem due to our migration, however I
>> then could say for sure that the setup is the same. Talking then on irc
>> with iranzo, we figured out that it have to be a problem in the profiles
>> at the repos: part. I had 27 profiles with 7 being the top and all the
>> others inheriting from these 7. Makes 20 repos which inherits and have
>> therefor repos: <<inherit>> in the yaml. Which is exactly the amount of
>> <,<,i,n... in the error above.
>> Wit dumpvars everything looked ok and they had the repos inherited from
>> the parent. However when I now added the repos for each profile without
>> inheriting from the parent it works fine and there's only the firewall
>> warning left.
>>
>> So for me it looks like cobbler check have a problem with inheriting
>> repos in profiles. Anybody can confirm this behaviour? Or what else
>> might cause the problem?
>>
>> thanks and greets Marcel
>>

> Thankfully it's just "cobbler check" so you can ignore that message
> for now.   It should not be causing problems elsewhere, but yes, that
> should not be happening :)
>
> I'll teach it to ignore inherits and this can go into the next 1.0.X
> maintaince release.   Patch should be in shortly.
>
> --Michael

I've pushed a patch out to git for this, and it will be applied to the
next release whether 1.0.X or 1.1 devel (both).

I've also removed two items of directory ownership in tftpboot.  F9 uses
/var/lib/tftpboot, and while I check for it, the RPM
should not be creating directories there.  cobbler itself will create
the intermediate directories it needs if they do not exist.

If you need the patch and don't want to rebuild from source, it's here:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=cobbler;a=commitdiff;h=eafedd4d33a63107f9a382ab613b5e5d2f18f98d;hp=b4ccb85ecaa9da26203baa3f27e90f177fd677f0

This seems to work for me, please let me know if it doesn't for you.

--Michael