[et-mgmt-tools] CentOS 4 Cobbler Server Hosting CentOS 5 Repository

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri May 30 23:11:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Demetri Mouratis <dmourati at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm my brain thinks it remembers something about that. I have 0.4.11
>> on my EL-5 servers for some reason. Could you try the following rpm to
>> see if it helps?
>>
>> http://smooge.fedorapeople.org/alpha/EL-4/createrepo-0.4.11-1.el4.noarch.rpm
>>
>> and let me know if that fixes the issue?
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Same result here after installing the above createrepo RPM.
>
> "Unable to read group information from repositories.  This
> is a problem with the generation of your install tree."
>
> The dialog box says simply "Reboot."  At the next box, I get:
>
>        | You have specified that the group 'virtualization' should    |
>        | be installed. This group does not exist. Would you like to   |
>        | continue or abort your installation?
>
> If I say continue, the install seems to proceed okay.

Ok this sounds more like the kickstart you are using is not pointing
to the correct repo.
If you loaded centos in via a profile.. you should be able to look at it like:

cobbler profile report --name=centos-5.1-server-i386

or some such thing.. the default kickstart is then:

# cobbler profile report --name=rhel-5.1-server-i386
profile         : rhel-5.1-server-i386
distro          : rhel-5.1-server-i386
kickstart       : /var/lib/cobbler/kickstarts/rhel5/rhel5-hardware-default.cfg
kernel options  : {}
ks metadata     : {}
virt file size  : 32
virt ram        : 512
virt type       : auto
virt path       :
virt bridge     : xenbr0
virt cpus       : 1
repos           : []
dhcp tag        : default
server          : <<inherit>>

# cobbler system report --name=bakeneko_smoogespace_com
system           : bakeneko_smoogespace_com
profile          : rhel-5.1-server-i386
kernel options   : {}
ks metadata      : {}
netboot enabled? : True
kickstart        : /var/lib/cobbler/kickstarts/rhel5/rhel5-hardware-xendom0.cfg
virt type        : <<inherit>>
virt path        : <<inherit>>
server           : <<inherit>>
interface        : intf0
  mac address    : 00:19:B9:BB:8F:9E
  ip address     : 192.168.2.1
  hostname       : bakeneko.smoogespace.com
  gateway        : 192.168.2.255
  subnet         : 255.255.255.0
  virt bridge    :
  dhcp tag       : net2

Here I am using kickstarts that have rhel5 items in them. My guess is
that you might be trying one with CentOS which is looking for other
names.

> At boot time, however, the system hangs at Mounting Other Filesystems.

Thats usually a network issue where its trying to get IPs that don't exist.

> I suspect that the initial install was not clean and so I am chasing
> that down before moving on to the hung CentOS 5 boot.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux