Réf. : Re: [et-mgmt-tools] using virtinstall--devel and bus type option.

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 16:31:45 UTC 2008

FCOMBERNOUS at ares.fr wrote:
>> to do with the 'bus' option, so you may be running in to
>> issues that have been fixed. Try:
>>
>> cd virtinst--devel
>> hg pull
>> hg update
>> python setup.py install
>>
>> Then see if the bus option isn't working. If not, report
>> back here.
>>

> Here the report :)
> - The man pages use the new syntax about the -disk option.
> - The virt-install --help is broken. Have a look to details below [1].
> - The -disk option looks to do the job.
>
> In fact, i wanted to use -disk option as described in [2]. With this one,
> it's possible to set the devide type to scsi and not only to ide. But with
> the last update, the virt-install don't know the scsi value :
> ERROR    Error with storage parameters: Unknown device type 'scsi'

Hmm, this sounds like you made an error on the command line.
You should use

--disk ...,bus=scsi,...  rather than
--disk ...,device=scsi...

If you didn't make that mistake, please paste the full command
line you used.

> [1]
> # virt-install --help
> ERROR:root:'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 171: ordinal
> not in range(128)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 715, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 504, in main
>     options = parse_args()
>   File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 466, in parse_args
>     (options,args) = parser.parse_args()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/optparse.py", line 1385, in parse_args
>     stop = self._process_args(largs, rargs, values)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/optparse.py", line 1425, in _process_args
>     self._process_long_opt(rargs, values),
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/optparse.py", line 1500, in _process_long_opt
>     option.process(opt, value, values, self)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/optparse.py", line 782, in process
>     self.action, self.dest, opt, value, values, parser)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/optparse.py", line 804, in take_action
>     parser.print_help()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/cli.py", line 51, in
>     print_help
>     file.write(self.format_help().encode(encoding, "replace"))
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 171:
> ordinal not in range(128)

Hmm, we supposedly fixed this bug. It has to do with viewing
the help message with a local that uses non-ascii characters.
I'll try to find the fix.

Thanks,
Cole