[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager Valid Install Media URLs...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 11:17:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:40:51PM -0800, Enzo Medici wrote:

> Ok, so I've gotten a Xen kernel installed just fine and booted. Now I'm trying to get a domU installed and am having trouble with the install media urls which are not clearly explained anywhere on the internet. All I see is use a valid install url without any explanation of what that actually is. For example, you would think you could use a .iso file, but you cannot. It doesn't appear that you can use a local install extract as all I see are FTP, HTTP or NFS servers.
>
> 1. What constitutes a valid install media URL? What does virt-manager look for at this URL?

The install media URL is a URL that points to your OS distribution
tree. eg, in Fedora world it'd be

  http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/

If you have mounted the DVD ISO image somewhere and exportedvia NFS,
HTTP or FTP, you can point to that

> 2. How do you get a valid install media URL for a particular Linux distribution? I looked at Ubuntu
> mirrors and don't see anything that looks like I can use.

Again, the top level directory of the particular OS distro install
media.

Daniel