[et-mgmt-tools] Windows XP Mutiprocessor Support

Wed Nov 26 07:52:38 UTC 2008

Hello Cole.

I did try to adding acpi and apic to the domain cofiguration file
(post-install), as you suggested.
But after applying these changes, Virt-Manager would display a message
(saying something like function requires an argument). As i have faced this
error earlier (many times), i just deleted the cdrom device from the machine
and then the domain was booting.
However these changes did not make any difference to my problems (still high
CPU load, no poweroff on shutdown).

So i created a new xen guest by manually creating the configuration file
with apic and apic enabled and created the domain using the "xm create"
command. Then during the start of the installation i pressed F5 , and
selected "ACPI Multiprocessor" and continued installation. After this
everything is working great! All the problems have gone.

Following is my feedback on virt-manager:

I have been using virt-manager for around 2 years now, and alway shyed away
from the manual configuration. But during my experience of using
virt-manager i have seen quite a lot of issues, which would require me to
restart the xend service.
For Example: If i shutdowm a windows/linux guest, and then try to power it
on again, virt-manager will say "error posting message" or something of that
sort. As a result of this i would need to restart the xend service to power
on the domain again (and for some reason i always thought this was an issue
with xend, until now). I have been following this routine for a long time
now.  Now i think the "xm" command is what i need to consider while creating
a virtual machine and basically use virt-manager to handle the hot-plugging
of devices, cloning domains, etc.
As it is ovirt needs fedora 9, so haven't go to test that yet.
I'm hoping to see a better,stable version of virt-manager

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
~Sameer