[et-mgmt-tools] Copying Images for VMM

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 15:09:28 UTC 2008

Bryan Christ wrote:
> Thanks for the URL.  I looked at the virt-clone tool, but it only lets
> you clone images on a local host.  I need to copy my *.img file from my
> laptop to my desktop.  I tried manually copying the file
> from /var/lib/libvirt/images but I think there's an extra step (or more)
> that I need to do.
>
> Does anyone know?

You'll need to transfer the vm configuration as well.

(on source host) virsh dumpxml vmname > vmname.xml
copy vmname.xml from src to dest
(on dest host) virsh define vmname.xml

If the .img is at the same path on the new host, and you
have a similar network setup, machine arch, distro etc,
it should just work.

Thanks,
Cole