[et-mgmt-tools] libvirt munin plugins

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 17:24:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:04:16PM +0200, Guido G?nther wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 06:34:59PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >
> > > Nice idea !  Rich Jones did a similar thing for collectd, and Nagios.
> > >
> > > We should link to all 3 of these plugins from the libvirt applications
> > > page on the website http://libvirt.org/apps.html
> >
> >   Makes sense ! Attached patch adds the 3 plugins in a new section of
> > the application page,
> Would be great to have this! I just added a munin cputime plugin. To
> keep things simple you could just link to
>  http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/libvirt/#munin

Is the conversion of cpuTime to a percentage value really doing what
you want here ?

The 'cpuTime' field is cummulative since the domain was first started,
so the % utilization you're calcuating is the % of the host that was
utilized over the entire time the domain was running. I would have
thought the % you really want is the utilization between the two
invocations of the 'libvirt-cputime' script. eg if you have munin
running that script once every 10 seconds, you'd want the % to be
calculated based on that 10 second window, rather than the lifetime
of the VM

Daniel