[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager not connecting qemu:///system

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 16:05:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 02:16:54PM +0200, Guido G?nther wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:47:05PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > We've got this problem sorted in the 'lxc' driver and need to apply
> > the same approach to the QEMU driver. The problem was always finding
> > the Pseduo-TTY/PID for the monitor after restart, and associating the
> > live config with it. We've "solved" that in LXC driver by savingt the
> > live XML & PID to /var/run/libvirt/lxc/. It basically needs the same
> > approach to be applied to the QEMU daemons. In addition the DNSmasq
> > deamon needs adapting for simiarl reasons.
> This would solve the problem of restarting libvirtd. How are we going to
> distinguish this from daemon shutdown on e.g. system reboot? Is the
> distros init script supposed to handle shutting down/suspending active
> domains on /etc/init.d/libvirtd stop?

Yep, we need to have some explicit support for shuttting down / saving
active VMs on system shutdown, independant of whether the daemon
restart preserves them.

We can probably distinguish by picking a specific signal for orderly
shutdown of the daemon + vms, vs a simple restart.  I'd like all signals
to preserve running VMs by default - attempting todo orderly shutdown of
VMs on reciept of signal is not great because there's no way to get info
on progress of shutdown, or detect/report shutdown errors. I'd also like
to avoid putting any complex application logic into initscripts though.
Perhaps we should have an explicit API, or a convenient virsh command to
shutdown all VMs in one go.

Daniel