[et-mgmt-tools] virtio support in libvirt and virt-manager?

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 14:33:21 UTC 2008

Hi Again Daniel,

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>wrote:

> Our design paradigm / goal is not to provide this kind of level of
> detail in the UI. The choice of IDE vs SCSI vs VirtIO vs Xen PV is
> determined automatically when you choose the OS Type & OS Variant.
> eg, if you choose Fedora >= 9, then we know that we should use VirtIO.

Thanks for the response. I understand the design decision. As you know,
there are many distributions around, and not all are listed in the OS
Type&Variant, such as my virtio supported distro Pardus. May I ask:

1) Will we have a choice such as "generic virtio enabled distribution" in
the Linux os variants?
2) If we are installing Windows and then we'll install KVM paravirtual
virtio drivers, how shall we do?
3) What if a generic distro is installed without virtio first, but then can
become virtio-enabled by an initrd configuration file?

Thanks a lot,

--
Emre