[et-mgmt-tools] Looking for Guidance on Various virt-manager Bug Reports

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 20:49:27 UTC 2008

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 15:30 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Some of the others are already fixed upstream
>
>> virDomainDetachDevice error,
>
> Okay, marked as such in Launchpad.
>
>> adding virtio disks post install,
>
> Do you have a bug number for this one? I see #457055 [0], but that seems
> to indicate you just want to auto-detect it. Has the use case of Windows
> been covered? For example, I said in [1] that "...You need to tell KVM
> to use virtio, but that wouldn't be a sane default for Windows because
> it doesn't ship those drivers out of the box."

No, there is no bug number tracking this specific issue. Here
is the upstream commit:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-manager--devel?cs=0240dcdfef74

This allow adding a virtio to a disk via the 'Add Hardware' wizard:
'virtio disk' is now an option in the device type drop down when
adding storage. There is no analogous option for networking (yet).
So there is both an install time option (choosing a distro that
supports virtio out of the box) and a post install option (adding
the virtio disk after the fact).

>> shutdown -> force poweroff
>
> Do you have a reference for this? If not, is this doing an ACPI
> shutdown? If so, what does it do for a Windows XP guest (which, at least
> in the past, required ACPI be turned off or it'll use 100% CPU)? Has the
> UI been updated to say "Shutdown" (and/or "Power Off") instead of
> "Destroy"?

'shutdown' requests an ACPI shutdown from qemu/kvm. If ACPI isn't
enabled in the guest, I don't know what the behavior is at the
qemu level, but libvirt/virt-manager does nothing differently.

Force Poweroff in current upstream maps to Destroy: it's just more
clearly worded.

>> In general, for non-critical bugs or feature suggestions, I would
>> suggest filing them with us upstream, under the 'Virtualization'
>> component in bugzilla.redhat.com.
>
> I don't mean to be nitpicky here, but you mean "Virtualization Tools",
> right? I just want to make sure I have the right component.

Yes, sorry, the correct 'product' is 'Virtualization Tools'

Thanks,
Cole