[et-mgmt-tools] -parallel supported?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 19:05:27 UTC 2008

Bob Tennent wrote:
>  >|>  >|Check out
>  >|>  >|http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsConsole for
>  >|>  >|xml examples.
>  >|>
>  >|>  I added
>  >|>
>  >|>     <parallel type='pty'>
>  >|>       <source path='/dev/lp0' />
>  >|>       <target port='0'/>
>  >|>     </parallel>
>  >|>
>  >|> to the <devices> section of the relevant file in /etc/libvirt/qemu. The
>  >|> parallel "hardware" shows up in virt-manager, but with - as the source
>  >|> path; running the domain yields
>  >|
>  >|>   libvirtError: internal error Timed out while reading console startup
>  >|>   output
>  >|>
>  >|> Same result if I use <source path='/dev/pts/2' />. If I remove the
>  >|> parallel "hardware" in the virt-manager, the guest starts up OK.
>  >|
>  >|Your XML syntax is wrong. You specified a 'pty' but then gave it a
>  >|real path which doesn't make sense. You want type='dev' instead,
>  >|and the <target> element is redundant - that's an output only
>  >|element at this time. So, eg
>  >|
>  >|     <parallel type='dev'>
>  >|       <source path='/dev/lp0' />
>  >|     </parallel>
>  >|

> The example syntax at the libvirt.org site I was directed to is
>
>         <parallel type='pty'>
>           <source path='/dev/pts/2'/>
>           <target port='0'/>
>         </parallel>
>
> so that should be corrected if it's "wrong".
>
> Bob T.

The docs clearly explain that type='pty' is for redirection
to a psuedo tty, and type='dev' is for redirection to a
physical device. So in that respect, the docs are not
"wrong".

That quoted piece is just the example of the general syntax.
It is not clearly labeled as such, but probably should be.

- Cole