[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager not connecting qemu:///system

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 15:47:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 05:41:02PM +0200, Guido G?nther wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 09:51:26AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > It's easy to forget, but anytime you update libvirt you will
> > need to restart libvirtd. Sounds like that could be the problem.
> The Ubuntu packages are based on the Debian ones and I dropped the
> daemon restart from the postinst so we don't tear down all running
> machines - so this is likely the problem.
> Did anybody work on saving enough state to restart libvirtd while
> keeping the VMs running? If not I might give it a whirl once I find some
> time.

We've got this problem sorted in the 'lxc' driver and need to apply
the same approach to the QEMU driver. The problem was always finding
the Pseduo-TTY/PID for the monitor after restart, and associating the
live config with it. We've "solved" that in LXC driver by savingt the
live XML & PID to /var/run/libvirt/lxc/. It basically needs the same
approach to be applied to the QEMU daemons. In addition the DNSmasq
deamon needs adapting for simiarl reasons.

Daniel