[et-mgmt-tools] [patch] virt-convert add disk signature into virt-image format export

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 18:24:59 UTC 2008

>> It helps code readability if spacing is reasonably
>> consistent throughout.
>>
>> Hmm, so I just tried the above. What that is essentially
>> trying to do is read the entire disk into memory, then
>> pass it off as a giant string to the sha function. Clearly
>> this is not a workable solution. This also applies to
>> the virt-image hash changes as well. Haven't looked into
>> the correct way to do it though.
>>
>> This is also a rather large performance drain. So at the
>> very least it should not be the default. That said, I
>> don't know the optimal way to expose this option, or
>> even if we should.
>
> I think this will become important as we look to distribute the
> appliances either via RHN or on public sites. Also.. this makes us a
> bit more consistent with OVF.
>
> I am fine with making it off by default, and then causing the command
> line to turn it on.
>
> -- bk
I'd rather it be right than kill performance and make it unusable at
best, should the imagefile be bigger than the machines memory.  If we
outsource it to run a system command is that feasible, since we're
dealing with big files? I know Cole was against that originally. I'll
keep looking for a better way and cleanup the variables as well. Making
it off by default is probably best too.