[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager wizard suggestions

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sat Apr 11 20:45:35 UTC 2009

On 04/10/2009 01:08 AM, Dale Bewley wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 21:37 -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
>> The virt-manager new VM wizard defaults to Generic for OS Type and
>> Variant. It defaults to 'Debian Lenny' after you select Linux.
>>
>> It would be nice if it defaulted to 'Linux' and 'Fedora $host_version'.
>> At least on the Fedora release of virt-manager.

Yes I think that's a good idea. It would be nice to put some host distro
detection code into virt-manager to determine this, but in the mean time
I'll put a patch in fedora cvs to default to F11.

>> The installation media URL example is generic, it would also be nice if
>> it defaulted to the mirror manager download link for the version
>> selected above.

Like Dan suggests, it would be nice if we can provide URLs for all
distros. Unfortunately the only other distro that provides capabilities
similar to mirrormanager at the moment is Opensuse, so we would have to
hard code a specific tree for all the others.

That said, I'll probably add an F11 specific patch to have the F11 GA
link populated by default (though I suppose that would need to be
applied after GA, which sucks.)

> Also, I may be nit picking, but the default disk size of 4G is
> insufficient for a default install of F11 Beta. 5G works.

Hmm, It should be 8G, at least that's what it is for me. Are you short
on space on the host machine? We will cap it to what's available if it's
less than 8G.

WRT the default storage pool issue, virt-manager will set one up when
the install wizard is launched. The pool is named 'default' and it
points to '/var/lib/libvirt/images'. Eventually this will be
configurable in virt-manager.