[et-mgmt-tools] user questions - iscsi and nfs storage

mike.hinz at yr20.com mike.hinz at yr20.com
Mon Apr 27 17:33:29 UTC 2009

Hi, I'm a user and couldn't find a user oriented list for virt-manager so I'd thought I'd ask here. I have a few questions regarding using network storage with virt-manager.  I'm using the Fedora 11 beta with libvirt and virt-manager updated to the latest from rawhide. Â Virt-manager is version 0.7.0-4 built on 14 April. Further background is that I have an openfiler in my office with both iscsi and nfs enabled.  I can access both properly from my physical host.

My first question is in regards to iscsi.   It appears that I can enabled an iscsi pool, but I can't seem to create any volumes in it via virt-manager. Is this the way it as or am I doing something wrong?  If this is the way it is, is there any plan to enabled this functionality in virt-manager?

My 2nd question is in regards to nfs.  It appears that I can create a pool, but get errors when trying to create volumes for VMs.  I get the following in the popup:

Error creating vol: Couldn't create storage volume 'test1.img': 'cannot create path '/mnt/nfspoint/test1.img': Invalid argument'

Looking at the details gives:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/createvol.py", line 187, in _async_vol_create
  self.vol.install(meter=meter)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Storage.py", line 905, in install
(self.name, str(e)))
RuntimeError: Couldn't create storage volume 'test1.img': 'cannot create path '/mnt/nfspoint/test1.img': Invalid argument'

However, I can open a console and navigate to /mnt/nfspoint and I can see the images files created there, although each has zero size. They never appear in nfstest storage pool that I created though.

Interestingly, I can delete the nfs volume and attempt to reinitialize it and when I do, i see the two volumes that I attempted to create earlier, even though they don't exist!  I've confirmed that in fact that they don't exist via an examination of /mnt/nfspoint.

So, can someone give me some advise here on how this is supposed to work and what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!

Regards,

Mike Hinz
President
YR20