[et-mgmt-tools] virtinst: acpi/apic == FALSE for Windows XP

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Jul 5 20:50:59 UTC 2009

On 07/05/2009 08:27 AM, Guido Günther wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 06:09:01PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
>> Hi,
>> virtinst has:
>>
>> "winxp":{ "label": "Microsoft Windows XP (x86)",
>>                   "acpi": False, "apic": False },
>>
>> I couldn't find any reason for this in the hg logs and
>>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=512439
> The correct URL is:
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=533201
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

AFAIK this was done because windows installs on xen used to choke if ACPI was
enabled. There is an old wiki page corroborating that here, no idea if it is
still relevant, or if there were other issues at play:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsACPI

I'm pretty sure the KVM maintainer has indicated we should enable ACPI
unconditionally these days, so I'd take a patch for that.

Thanks,
Cole