[et-mgmt-tools] Virtio support in Windows

Laurent Léonard laurent at open-minds.org
Tue Jul 14 23:04:04 UTC 2009

Le mercredi 15 juillet 2009 à 00:44, Daniel P. Berrange a écrit :
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:38:14AM +0200, Laurent L?onard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What about Virtio support in Windows in virtinst OS dictionary ?

> Would that be possible? The OS dictionary is (currently) only ever
> used for initial installation. The Windows VirtIO drivers can only
> be installed post-install. So, AFAICT, it wouldn't be possible todo a
> install with virtio enabled in the os dictionary for Windows. Unless
> perhaps there's a way to provide them as a driver disk to the initial
> installer ? If we booted with a 2nd CDROM or floppy device containing
> the VirtIO drivers would the Windows installer be able to use that ?

For the moment, to make a clean Windows install with virtio network support I
follow this procedure:
- Add the virtio network adapter to the VM configuration (and remove the old
one)
- Boot on the Windows setup ISO
- Standard Windows install
- At the first boot Windows detects the unknown network hardware
- Simply replace the Windows setup ISO by the Virtio drivers ISO

--
Laurent Léonard