[et-mgmt-tools] Xen, New VM wizard, paravirt vs full virt
craig.miskell at opus.co.nz
Thu Jun 25 23:52:36 UTC 2009
I'm running virt-manager 0.7.0 on Ubuntu, connecting using SSH to libvirt
running on Debian Lenny Xen-3.2.1 (please, no flames :))
The trouble is, when I go to create a new VM using the wizard, no install
options are available because:
1) "Network install" is not available unless the connection is local, and
2) Local install media and Network boot (PXE) are not available because of the
following line in create.py (around line 340):
is_pv = (self.capsguest.os_type == "xen")
I changed that line to:
is_pv = False
because Xen can do Full Virtualisation these days. And I'm then able to create
local CD install of a full virtualisation VM, which boots and works perfectly.
1) Am I missing something, or is the is_pv definition just historical?
2) What's wrong with doing a "Network install" when you're not local; I thought
(please correct me if wrong) that a Network Install involved passing a URL to
some sort of install repository; why would that need local access.
3) Why is it not possible to do a Local Install media or PXE boot with a
Senior Systems Administrator - Linux
Opus International Consultants
O: Do you have one in the Cadillac? TW: No, I have a little band in there.
It's an old car, so I have a little old string band in the glove compartment.
-- Tom Waits, on car CD players
More information about the et-mgmt-tools