[et-mgmt-tools] RFC: virt-manager: Redesigned 'New VM' wizard

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 19:50:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:12:03PM +0100, Guido G?nther wrote:
> Hi Cole,
> this all looks great.
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:50:15PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > The summary section is pretty straight forward, no surprises here.
> > The 'Advanced Options' section encompasses networking, hypervisor, and
> > architecture options. The hypervisor and arch defaults were explained above.
> An option to select disk (scsi, ide, virtio) and network adapter model
> (e1000, ...) as advanced options would be great (still defaulting to
> virtio if supported via the osdict) since there are some OSes that don't
> support all hardware out of the box and there are kvm/qemu versions that
> have problems with certain adapter types.

If there are combinations of OS,Disk that don't work IMHO we should
improve the OS type metadata so we don't use them. Choice of specific
hardware models is something we really want to keep out of the new VM
wizard, because the end user really isn't in a position to have the
knowledge to make suitable choices.

Daniel