[et-mgmt-tools] Some (probably) beginner questions

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 15:03:36 UTC 2009

Dominik Klein wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup libvirt, virt-manager and xen.
>
> I successfully installed xen 3.3.1 and am able to run machines with "xm".
> libvirt is 0.6.1
> virt-manager was pulled 30 minutes ago from the repo
> same for virtinst
>
> libvirt is installed, libvirtd is running. I can also start virt-manager
> and have it connect to xen.
>
> Now I want to define a new machine with virt-manager and face a couple
> of problems.
>
> * I can only select full vs. paravirtualization at the end of the
> installation dialog and (I think) therefore not select a .iso file as
> installation source. The installation source has to be chosen in the
> very first dialog and I can only select "network install" there.

Hmm, if the connection supports FV and PV, all install options should be
enabled. At the end of the wizard, is 'xen (fullvirt)' and option listed
in the 'Virt Type' drop down? Can you provide 'virsh --connect xen:///
capabilities' output

> * When I try to create a new machine (pv with a network installation
> source), I get the following error message:
>
> ------------
> Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> POST
> operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err "Error
> creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open kernel image (2 =
> No such file or directory)')")
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1485, in
> do_install
>     dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 541,
> in start_install
>     return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 633,
> in _do_install
>     self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 973, in
> createLinux
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
> conn=self)
> libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon:
> (xend.err "Error creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open
> kernel image (2 = No such file or directory)')")

Hmm, not entirely sure what the problem could be here.
~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log could help.

Thanks for the report!
- Cole