[et-mgmt-tools] RFC: virt-manager: Redesigned 'New VM' wizard

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 14:53:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:56:24PM +0100, Radek Hladik wrote:
> Cole Robinson napsal(a):
> >Hi all,
> >
> >The current 'New VM' wizard has clearly started to show its age. The
> >original design was largely based on xen specific assumptions and the
> >state of libvirt/virtinst at the time: many of those assumptions don't
> >apply today, or require a bit more thought since we now support both xen
> >and qemu based VMs.
> >
> >You can find a patch for a new implementation of the 'New VM' wizard here:
> >
> >http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/newvm2/virt-manager-newvm-01.patch
> >

> I have to say I like this redesign. However I am missing two options in
> the wizard at all (and I missed them in the old one too). I would like
> to be able to just create a new machine and do not install anything on
> it and/or  do not startup it. So I would like to see the install method
> "No installation" and an advanced option "do not start the VM now".
> There are situations when you do not want to start the VM right away. I
> can address both issues with installing from dummy ISO image (actually
> RIP linux :-) ) and stopping the machine, but I think it would be nice
> to have the options right in the wizard.

Yeah, this is the so called 'import existing disk image' or 'run livecd'
use case. I can't remember off hand whether we were intending to put
this in the 'new vm' wizard or have a separate option for doing that.
It is probably easy enough to just have it all in one, now we've got the
"install media"  choice up-front.

Daniel