[et-mgmt-tools] Configuration of the virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 21:02:20 UTC 2009

lugs at linuxmaker.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking now already since days after the configuration of
> virt-manager on Debian, but found nothing on the internet or any literature.
> I now have a machine on Debian/Lenny with KVM and wants use here virtual
> machines on logical volumes. With virt-manager should indeed be a breeze, but
> it is not, because the configuration of virt-manager is still opaque to me.
>
> If I have virt-manager and the traces on the workstation installed the program
> I want to start now, I get the messages
>
> Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system':
> <class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner
> zurückgesetzt
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 486, in
> _open_thread
>     None], flags)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 99, in openAuth
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
> libvirtError: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt
>
> I assume that the /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf on the workstation and
> possibly on the KVM-server must be configured accordingly.
> But now I don't know how. Also tell me the URI syntax not so much.
> Is what I intend "qemu + ssh: / /" the right thing? Have I "/ system" on
> 192.168.0.3 to establish or it is a directory or it is a service?

For ssh access, you shouldn't need any changes to libvirtd.conf. The URI
syntax looks correct as well.

An easier way to test it all is to use virsh. So, try

virsh --connect qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system  (or)
virsh --connect qemu+ssh://root@192.168.0.3/system

And see if that also gives errors.

Thanks,
Cole