[et-mgmt-tools] RFC: virt-manager: Redesigned 'New VM' wizard

Radek Hladik radek at eadresa.cz
Wed Mar 4 02:56:30 UTC 2009

Cole Robinson napsal(a):
> Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
>> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>
>> Also the wizard should support multiple NICs and disks - perhaps from
>> step 5 -  be able to launch sub-wizards to add nic and add disk?
>>

> I think such a process would add non-trivial complication to the UI for
> a rather niche case. For a user wanting a multi nic or disk configured
> VM, I would point them at virt-install which easily scales in this
> respect. Extra NICs could also be added post install, since I would
> think only one would be required for the install process.

My opinion is that this can be solved by some sort of "do not start the
VM and open VM details for fine tuning" option. I am not sure where I've
seen this (VMWare ESX maybe?) but the last page of the wizard contained
checkboxes like "start machine now" and "edit VM details after closing
the wizard". With reasonable default values you can satisfy both
advanced user and a "just to be done" user in a straight-forward way.
Radek