[et-mgmt-tools] Some (probably) beginner questions

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Wed Mar 11 10:46:04 UTC 2009

Hi

I am trying to setup libvirt, virt-manager and xen.

I successfully installed xen 3.3.1 and am able to run machines with "xm".
libvirt is 0.6.1
virt-manager was pulled 30 minutes ago from the repo
same for virtinst

libvirt is installed, libvirtd is running. I can also start virt-manager
and have it connect to xen.

Now I want to define a new machine with virt-manager and face a couple
of problems.

* I can only select full vs. paravirtualization at the end of the
installation dialog and (I think) therefore not select a .iso file as
installation source. The installation source has to be chosen in the
very first dialog and I can only select "network install" there.

* When I try to create a new machine (pv with a network installation
source), I get the following error message:

------------
Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> POST
operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err "Error
creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open kernel image (2 =
No such file or directory)')")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1485, in
do_install
    dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 541,
in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 633,
in _do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 973, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon:
(xend.err "Error creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open
kernel image (2 = No such file or directory)')")

If you need more information about the system, please let me know - I'll
provide them asap.

Regards
Dominik