[et-mgmt-tools] Win 2008 installs with virt-manager/python-virtinst

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 18:03:34 UTC 2009

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that when I try to install Win 2008 Server I get a black
>>> installer error screen about a device being removed, and if I hit
>>> ENTER=Continue, I am thrown back to this screen.    Some Google
>>> references seem to think the CD ROM drive is being removed, which I
>>> need
>>> to solve as I'm trying to see if this is doable from a fully automated
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Is this perhaps fixed in a later libvirt and/or
>>> python-virtinst?
>>>

>> What are the virtinst, libvirt, kvm, fedora versions you are using?
>>
>> - Cole
>>

> python-virtinst-0.400.0-5.fc10.noarch
> libvirt-0.5.1-2.fc10.i386
> kvm-74-10.fc10.i386
> Fedora-10
>
> --Michael

FWIW, I haven't gotten around to checking rawhide for this -- trying to
get a Cobbler release out -- expect something Friday or early next week.

I see we can create virtual floppies and such via libvirt so I have
pretty much all I need for scripting Windows installs provided we have a
way to not get the CD ejected 5 seconds into the install :)

(The merits of scripting Windows installs are still TBD, seeing how
little you can actually script in them)

This is different from the F-9 bug where it ejects halfway through the
install, this is very early on (this was using 2008 and Vista -- perhaps
it might not happen with older installers).