[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager without KVM

David H. Vree david.h.vree at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:09:40 UTC 2009

I would like to run virt-manager on a number of Ubuntu 9.04 desktop
boxes to manage virtual machines I have running on an Ubuntu Server
box.  However, when I select virt-manager for installation in the repo's
it indirectly selects kvm as a dependency.  However I do not need nor
want kvm on these client workstations as all my virtual machines are on
the server.  Installing KVM on the client workstations loads the
intel-kvm kernel module which interferes with other software running on
these machines.

Does virt-manager really require KVM to be running locally?   Is there a
way to get virt-manager up and running without KVM?