[et-mgmt-tools] Importing kvm vm

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu May 28 14:10:37 UTC 2009

David H. Vree wrote:

> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> An easier way to import VMs via virt-manager is on our roadmap.
>>
>> FYI, this could have been done fairly easily via latest virt-install
>> (0.400.3) as well, via the --import option:
>>
>> virt-install --name MyWinXP --ram 2048 --vcpus 2 --accelerate --network
>> user --sound --sdl --import --disk path=mywinxp.qcow2
>>

> Every time I ran virt-install v0.400.3 I got this error:

Hmm, looks like a distro specific bug: the offending code has never been
upstream. It sounds like it is fixed in debian though, so not sure why
you are still hitting it. If you are using ubuntu, I'd file a bug with them.

In the meantime, the fix should be as simple as running:

sudo sed -i -e "s/options.os_variant/options.distro_variant/g"
/usr/bin/virt-install

- Cole