Re: Max Mount Count

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 02:13:23PM -0700, Jay Weber wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Heinz J. Mauelshagen wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > in regard to your question "What the heck is LVM trying to do?" at the end
> > of your mail:
> >
> > LVM only invalidates the buffers
> >  - of a logical volume in case it *removes* it
> >    *or*
> >  - of a physical volume in order to make sure that reads physically
> >    come from disk afterwards.
> Heinz, are you sure about this?  I've printk output that shows
> invalidate_buffers() running on ALL of my devices listed in
> /proc/partitions as opposed to only LVM devices.

This is the expected behaviour of the actual LVM library.

The library function pv_read_all_pv() tries to read in *every* PV structure
it can find on every supported block device using pv_read() in turn.
pv_read() calls pv_flush() unless it finds an entry in a flushed devices cache
in order to avoid multiple flushes off the same block device if pv_read() is
recalled for the same device.

Same reason as stated in my other e-mail: make sure that data comes
physically from the device when the VGDA is retrieved (partially).

> I have annotated printk
> output I've attached to bug # 253 at bugzilla.sistina.com.

> This was all
> based on 0.9.1beta7.  I'll follow up with you if you've any further
> questions on this one. :)

Does the above make sense to you?

> Thanks.
> [delete]...

Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
Mauelshagen Sistina com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446