Re: ext3, S/W RAID-5 and many services

Well, I have no kernel message.

I did have some traps (I guess these are messages from a segfault of a module) from the raid5 code to resync the disks after an improper shutdown, but I tracked this down to a failing RAID-array disk. After replacement of the disk, resyncing the array, reformating and restoring the data, I never saw any kernel failures (it's now about 2 weeks, the machine is running constantly and used by 2-3 users in day time for the moment).

Also, my backups are from before the disk failure. How bad can this affect the behavior of the system, if the files I have restored are corrupt ? I should not thwart the FS, should it?

Is there a way to detect failing disks ? (my guess is no, but I still ask...)