[Q] Where and what is t-cs.gmo?

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Apr 12 02:49:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 04:20:39PM -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> I didn't seem to have gettext at all, so I installed version 0.14.1.
> And ./configure said:
>
> checking for xgettext... (cached) no
>
> despite
> whereis xgettext
> xgettext: /usr/local/bin/xgettext

configure checks for xgettext in each of the directories in your PATH.
Apparently you don't have /usr/local/bin in your PATH.

> Then I found an option to configure using the included gettext as you
> mention above. That initially gave
>
> /bin/chmod +x mk_cmds
> ../et/compile_et --build-tree ./ss_err.et
> ../et/compile_et: /usr/bin/awk: No such file or directory
> ../et/compile_et: /usr/bin/awk: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [ss_err.c] Error 127
>
> which I now realize occurs because it is hard-coded to look for awk
> in /usr/bin.

No, it's not hard-coded.  compile_et is created from compile_et_sh.in,
which uses awk from the location determined by configure:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
AWK=@AWK@

So if it was /usr/bin/awk, it was because the configure script thought
it was there.  I'm not sure why that would have been the case, unless
you had a config.cache file generated from another system.

> I just tried again after symlinking awk in /usr/bin and got:
>
> : multiple definition of `_nl_find_msg'
> ../intl/libintl.a(dcigettext.o)(.text+0x6d8):/src/kernel/e2fsprogs-1.35/intl/dcigettext.c:698:
> first defined here
> /usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `_nl_find_msg' changed from 1325
> in ../intl/libintl.a(dcigettext.o) to 1309 in
> ../intl/libintl.a(dcigettext.o)

Yeah, welcome to more gettext fragileness.  You probably have some
older version of gettext in /usr/include that is still being used
during the compile, and the header files are conflicting.

> >build process, and everything else important has been built.  So if
> >you don't care about seeing e2fsck messages being output in Polish or
> >Turkish, you can just ignore the errors.  :-)
>
> I just ended up compiling with  ./configure --disable-nls

That's probably the best course.

Which distribution were you using?  E2fsprogs compiles just fine on
Red Hat and Debian....

					- Ted