[patch] Re: stalled 'sync' on ext3+quota over drbd

Jan Kara jack at ucw.cz
Wed Apr 21 10:29:21 UTC 2004

  Hi,

> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 18:57, Jan Kara wrote:
>
> >   For 2.4 I think your patch is the best solution. Please push it. For
> > 2.6 I've written a patch which implements per-sb lists of dirty dquots
>
> That's only part of the problem: a million dquots on a single sb will
> still show this performance degradation currently.  Rotating the list
> head after each progress will make sure that even if we are processing
> unnecessary dquots, we at least do so only once per sync (which is way
> better than 0.5*N^2 times!)
  If I have dirty dquot list for sb+type (which is what I actually have)
then I just always get first entry from the list, sync it, delete it and
continue.. This way I will have the same asymptotic performance as with
moving on inuse_list (ie. O(N)), no? And I will get some constant bonus
for smaller list... Or do I miss something?

								Honza