Periodic fsck's fail but all is OK.

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 20:56:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 20:09, David Baron wrote:
> Every 24 mounts, fsck runs. Often enough, this run will fail demanding a
> manual run. This -f manual runs goes through its stages and only on rare
> occasion finds an orphaned node. 99%, finds noting amiss.

Orphan inodes are normal behaviour if you open a file, unlink it, and
then reboot while it's still open.  There are lots of reasons why that
can happen --- upgrading a library that's still in use by running
processes is the one that I see causing it most often, for example.

If fsck finds an orphan, it just means that you've fscked a filesystem
that hasn't yet been mounted by the kernel since the reboot.  Both fsck
and the kernel will clean up orphan inodes as soon as they see them.
It's nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
 Stephen