2.6.5 and latest Fedora Core 1 kernels cannot handle files over 2.x GB?

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 11:23:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

Kernels since 2.4 have all been quite happy with files over 2GB.  There
were even patches for large file support on some 2.2 kernels at one
point, though those never got merged upstream.  I doubt that's the
problem, especially since:

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 02:52, Christopher Chan wrote:
> A mysql database file was copied over to a new box running Fedora Core 1.
> The kernel was updated to the latest Fedora release.
> However mysqld complains about corrupted tables.

> The kernel was then updated to 2.6.5
> mysqld still complains about corrupted tables.

> EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
> datazone - block = 1634890784, count = 1

Your filesystem is corrupt.  You need to run e2fsck to fix it up, and
check the files against a backup.

There's not enough information here to begin to diagnose _why_ they are
corrupt, but on 2.4 systems it's bad hardware 99% of the time.
"memtest86" is usually a good place to start.

Cheers,
 Stephen