2.6.5 and latest Fedora Core 1 kernels cannot handle files over 2.x GB?

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Sat Apr 24 00:49:58 UTC 2004

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 16:59, Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>>>Your filesystem is corrupt.  You need to run e2fsck to fix it up, and
>>>check the files against a backup.
>>>
>>>There's not enough information here to begin to diagnose _why_ they are
>>>corrupt, but on 2.4 systems it's bad hardware 99% of the time.
>>>"memtest86" is usually a good place to start.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>I got the same problem under 2.6.5...same goes I guess? We had no
>>problems with reiserfs...
>

> It could be just a one-off event that corrupted it; it could be a memory
> fault that developed after you switched; it could be timing-related.
> fsck is definitely the first thing to do; memtest86 is always a useful
> next step if there's any suspicion about memory corruption.

This should take the mystery away then. We were all stumped as to why we
had such a problem at all.

We even created a 12G file on the reiserfs. Mounted that file on
loopback and then created a ext3 filesystem there. We tryed creating a
large file on that loopback mounted ext3 fs but it would fail when we
got to around 2.6G.

However we could not replicate this on another box running the same
Fedora and kernels and with or without a 3ware card.

Thank you for explaining the possible causes.

Christopher