Crashed filesystem - directory recovery

Luigi Fabio lfabio_ext3users at smiling-web.com
Sun Feb 22 00:53:07 UTC 2004

Hello folks,
I had an ext3 filesystem mounted as the root of a Linux MOO server.
Unfortunately, the filesystem was on one of the infamous DTLA-3070xx
drives - and the drive decided to fail at the worst moment it
possibly could, trashing the filesystem fairly well.
The situation is as follows: I used dd_rescue to create an image of
what is left of the filesystem, but I ended up with some 65MB of
'holes' in the image. Among the 'holes' is the sector that hosts a
directory, /home/weyrmount/MOO (indeed, on the original drive, trying
to CD into that gives IO Error)
That directory contained three files, plus an 'arch' directory. Now,
while I understand that recovering the MOO dir itself is unrealistic,
is there any way I could recover the arch dir - and the files
therein? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Luigi Fabio - lfabio at smiling-web.com