Assertion failure in ext3_put_super() at fs/ext3/super.c:412

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 12:45:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 04:09, evilninja wrote:

> today i re-organized my data, lots of "mv" and "cp".
> then, upon unmounting a ext3 partition the following was shown on the
> console:

> ~ Assertion failure in ext3_put_super() at fs/ext3/super.c:412:
> "list_empty(&sbi->s_orphan)"

There's a bug we've been chasing recently regarding a race between
link/rename and unlink.  We know what's going wrong, it's just a matter
of determining what the right fix is (there's a workaround in a couple
of filesystems but it doesn't seem to be quite the right fix.)  It could
well be the cause of your problem, as the symptoms on ext3 normally
manifest as orphan list corruption.

--Stephen