recover data from failed hard drives on Fedora Core 1

Guolin Cheng guolin at alexa.com
Wed May 5 22:29:34 UTC 2004

Hi,

 I got a problem to recover data from Fedora core 1 hosts when hard
drives fail. I know that the disks fail because there are error messages
like the following logged in /var/log/messages.

arc144: Apr 24 12:52:53 arc144 kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

arc144: Apr 24 12:52:53 arc144 kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=90186647, sector=52432952

arc144: Apr 24 12:52:53 arc144 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:0b
(hda), sector 52432952

My question is: How to figure out the file|directory occupying the
failed sector|LBAsect?  If I can figure it out then I can skipped the
files|directories since the failed files will sometimes bring the failed
drive to completely inaccessible status on Fedora Core 1 hosts, which is
quite different from my former Redhat 8.0.

 Another questions is, what is the exact difference between LABsect and
sector in the above message? Can I find any helpful&complete info on
ext2|ext3 internals? At least related to disk space allocation.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Guolin Cheng